new

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Another Great Read!

This past weekend I did alot of reading since everyone was under the weather. I finished a book called I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak. Zusak is also the author of the Book Theif that I reviewed a little while ago. I am the Messenger is winner of the Michael L Printz award for Excellence in Young Adult Literature from the American Library Association.
  I will admit at the beginning of this book I was not sure I was going to be able to get into it. At times the Language is not great. Im not sure if its a cultural difference (like I know alot of the swearing in the Harry Potter books is because its not really considered bad in England) This is an Australian book. But since the words used are harsher then the ones in the Harry potter books I think its just bad language. Its funny because it seems like it came in spurts... lots of bad words and then nothing for a while. As always Id much prefer if that sort of thing was not included at all.
  But this was still a wonderful book. I loved it! I will probably buy it. Its about this young man named Ed. He is 19, driving a cab, playing cards with his friends, and basically going no where. This is is life and will be his life until he dies. Then one day he stops a bank robbery with out even really trying. After his 15 minutes of fame he is back to his normal go no where life when he starts getting Aces in the mail with weird messages on then... like addresses, or names or movies. He takes on this call to improve the lives of others, somewhat reluctantly at first, but once he gets going he feels a new purpose to life and slowly comes to realize that the messages he spreads are not so much for the people he delivers them too but for himself. By the end of the book you would barely recognize Ed if you had not taken this incredible journey with him.
   There is one quote that has stuck with him in this book. It's near the end of the book. He is recalling the dismall state of his dad's funeral the year before and comes to realize that his life is/was headed in the same direction. no one had anything to say at his dads funeral and Ed concludes; "I want words at my funeral. But I guess that means you need life in your life." That is my firm belief. We all have been given a gift in this life. Time. Time is such a double edged sword... what will you do with it. Will you spend it being unkind or creditcal, or even worse will you squander it away doing nothing. or will you rise to the occassion and make the most of the time you have been given. I am trying everyday to make the most of the time I have been gifted with.
  That was another thing I loved about this book. Rarely were the messages Ed delivered world changing. At first you were life to think... "Really thats it" but as it evolved you came to realize just how much a simple act can change a persons life. In all the instances the simple acts Ed did for them changed their lives. And by seeing that change in other and realizing his potential they changed Eds life as well.
  im still thinking about the ending. It was a totaly surprise to me... and Ill admit Im still slightly confused. But it wasnt until I started to think about it that I got confused.... maybe Im over thinking. I dont want to give away too many details because I dont want to spoil the ending for you. But Maybe I was so caught up in the story that at the time the details of the ending didnt matter... but once I removed myself I bit I still have questions. But then again I think thats the mark of a good book as well; to leave one thinking and talking about it after you have closed the cover.
  Well Done Markus Zusak. Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment