new

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Reall? Thats it???

A few days ago a finished another book....it was painful... it left me thinking "Wow did I really just waste the last few nights on this?" Good thing it was a short book! Here is how I had come across this book. Friday night TV sucks (besides CSI NY) then I saw this preview for a show called Haven. I will admit it didnt look great, but it looked decent enough for me to give it a go. So here is my review of Haven... BAD BAD BAD. The acting reminds me of a junior high play and the writing is not much better. The lines they come up with are so rediculous that even an oscar winner could not pull them off! And then there is the story lines. Beyond Hokey! I mean I am all for a little far fetchedness (yeah I like that word) but there are still limits! There is one long runnign story line; an FBI agent comes to investigate a murder in the little town of Haven, Maine and then discovers that someone who might of been her mother (whom she never knew) may have been there. So she stays to investigate that.  But there are also all these little show to show story lines that are all super natural. It appears that everyone in Haven has some crazy super power like controling the weather or dreaming things into reality. Yep its a winner. Despite all the awfulness I was still sucked in by the "is that her mom?" Story line and Im sure the fact that there is nothing else on then helps too! Anyways... I heard it was based on the book Colorado Kid by Stephen King. So I thought I'd save myself alot of misery and just read the book to find out how it all ends.
Smart Idea right???? WRONG... I read the book. I am still left wondering How it even relates! The book is really short so it was a fast read (luckily) The book is about 3 journalist from a small town in Maine (so far the only connection between show and book I could find) the 2 elderly journalist are telling their intern journalist the mystery of the Colorado Kid (the mention the colorado kid in the show but its only in passing as the headline in the newspaper) Anyways.. they are sharing this story about a man who is found dead on the beach and for 18 months they have no idea who he is, how he got there, or why is his there. Finally they find out he is from Colorado (hence the Colorado Kid) and that he left behind a wife and son. They never find out why he was in Maine or anything. and thats the end of the book... yep I know. Im not the kind of reader who needs everything wrapped up in a nice little package at the end of a book, but at least leave me feeling like ive traveled somewhere different then when I started. 
  This was disappointing for two main reasons. 1)I love King's work. LOVE HIM. He is sort of my guilty little secret because his lanugage is awful in most of his books, but I think his novels are genius. They all have weak endings but the rest of it is great! 2) I am still stuck watching this horrid show because I have no answers! ARGH! Maybe its time to turn to google and see what I can find out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment