new

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pretzels

You are all aware of my LOVE of the Food Network Magazine right?? Well here is one more recipe for you from the Jan/Feb Issue... which means I can now really focus on the March issue I got the other day! I have flipped through it a few times already but now I can pick the recipes to try!!!
  This recipe for Pretzel recipe was just ok... they were good... I just wasnt blown away. Its a recipe from Guy Fieri (who is fabulous by the way!)
Soft Pretzels

1 1/2 Tbsp yeast
1 Tbsp agave nectar
2 1/2 Cups whole wheat flour (I used a multigrain flour)
2 3/4 cups white flour
1 tsp sea salt
2 Large eggs

1) Mix 1 1/2 cups warm water, the yeast and agave in a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes.
2) In a mixer, fitted with a dough hook, pulse the whole wheat flour and 2 cups of white flour and salt. Add 1 egg and yeast mixture and pulse for 10 second intervals until dough comes together (about 3 times) Turn out on a floured surface and knead 10-12 times, adding up to 3/4 cup more flour if the dough is sticky. Cut into 4 even sections and cover with a clean towel
3) on a floured board roll out one piece of dough to 14x11 inches and 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into 7 strips.
4) Pinch together the long ends of the strips and roll like a snake until it is 12 inches long. Twist into a pretzel
5) Beat an egg and brush egg on top of pretzels. Sprinkle with salt. Bake at 475 on a parchment lined baking sheet for10 minutes.

These can also be stuffed... Once you have rolled out the dough add toppings to bottom half of the dough and fold over a flap to cover. then on top of the flap add more toppings and fold over the top half. Then re roll and cut into strips to form pretzels like before.

I made a nutella stuffed one which was really good. I also made a ham and cheese one... which was ok...it needed more filling but when I tried added more it didnt roll nicely...


No comments:

Post a Comment