new

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Nice Read

My friends had started to realize that I have an obession with WWII. One of my good friends, Claire, is a reader (YAY) and she let me borrow a book I had never heard of to read. It is called the Guernsey Literary and Potato Pie Society by Mary Ann shaffer and Annie Barrows. It was a nice relaxing read.
  This book is just a collection of letters (all fictional). It is set in post World War two London and in a small town names Guernsey on the Channel Islands. The Main character Juliet is an author trying to figure out what to write her next book about when she receives a letter from a man in Guernesy looking for a book. (its a fun story as to why he is asking her... but Ill leave that for the book to share with you!) Anyways... the Channel Islands had been occupied by the Germans during the war and  Juliet soon realizes that she wants to gather all the stories she can about what they people there went through during the Occupation. While looking for a story Juliet finds everything that has been missing in her life... its a sweet story.
  Reading a story written as letters is really interesting to me. I found I had to keep reminding myself that these were not real people. It was nice because you got so much of the story but also a really personal feel through out the book. I also found it really relaxing. See I am a reading who CAN NOT stop in the middle of a chapter. But I do most of my reading at night once the kidlets are in bed... which often means Im exhausted and I will admit that at times I rush through a chapter so I can go to sleep. But since this novel was all letters it was nice because a long letter was 2 or 3 pages long. so I could read a few letters and then if I was starting to head bob (at no fault of the book) then I could finish the letter and go to sleep.
  Reading this novel has made me wish for a pen pal!
  Thanks claire for such a sweet read!

1 comment: