new

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I DID IT!

This has been a recipe I have been terrified to try! Its one of those long running family passed down from generation to generation recipes. I was always so scared id mess it up... so I never learned how to do it. At least thats what I thought.
 
Jaxon's class needed some buns to celebrate bun day at preschool. They said they could just buy some but lets face it homemade are always better. So I volunteered to make some. Then the stressing started... "what if I cant do it?" "What if they dont turn out??" But all was for naught. They worked great. Its amazing how once you watch something being made your entire life how you just know how to do it. My rolling technique was not perfect but I soon got the hang of it and it was like how my mom does it! YAY!

Sweet Rolls

Combine 1 1/2 cup water with 2 tsp sugar. Sprinkle 3 tbsp of yeast over the water (DO NOT STIR) Let stand until foamy (about 10 min) In a seperate bowl (LARGE BOWL) combine 1 cup sugar, 4 tsp salt, 4 eggs, 1/2 cup veg. Oil and 3 cups warm water. Add the yeast mixture. Then add flour (anywhere from 9-12 cups) it all depends on the flour and the weather... today I used about 12 1/2 cups. the dough has to be smooth and not sticky, but still moist.
Cover with a towel and let rise for 90 minutes. Punch down and let rise again for about 1 hour. Form buns and put into buttered pans and let rise for about 1 hour. Bake at 350 degrees until browned (about 20 minutes)

Sorry I know most of you will be cursing this recipe... but thats what happens when its a passed down recipe... most of it is learned but watching! Hoping it works for you!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. mmm yum! I'm really bad at making yeast bread, except for one family recipe we have for a christmas sweet bread, but nothing else turns out like grandma's... and I've tried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first time makign a yeast bread by hand.. normally I use my bread machine! I was so scared!!!

    ReplyDelete