new

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Yes I did just start this book the other day... it only took me 2 days to read. I was just captivated. I am always so enthralled by Holocaust tales. I think it was one of the most horrific events in the history of the world and I always get so drawn into it. I think its because I dont understand it. I dont like when I dont understand it. See I love criminology and understanding the way criminals think. While I dont agree with it I have always been able to mostly understand how serial murders, and arsonist, etc can twist reality and think what they are doing is ok. so Its not the fact that Hitler was a complete whack job that gets me... what gets me is how he was able to convince so many other people that his logic was right when it was so obviously crazy! So I think thats why I get sucked in... Im trying to understand the horrible nightmare.
  Anyways... I read the Boy with the Striped Pajamas. It was so good. Really sad as All books on this matter are, but really well done. There has been some critisim about how believable it is for a 9 yr old boy (bruno the main character) to be the son of a powerful Nazi commander and not be aware of what is really going on or even what a jew is. I think I can see it... Bruno is a little immature to begin with and I think its nice to see that even in nazi Germany kids were still kids.
  There has also been some remarks about how at auschwitz there were no children Brunos age for him to find and befriend and how the fence was electric (not like in the story) To which I say... 1) there has been some documentation of children there...they may not have been kept there as long as in this story but they were at one point there. 2) its a fictional story. All respect was shown for this awful event but its still just a story. so the author took some liberties to make his story his. 
   It was a beautiful story of innocence and friendship and in the long run karma...

No comments:

Post a Comment