new

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

We Will Miss you Miss Carey!

Today was a sad-ish day for Jaxon. One of his super awesome teachers is moving onto Bigger and better things and today was her last day. I dont know if he fully realizes that she wont be at school with him anymore. Miss Carey is awesome and we will miss having her in class with Jaxon... As a good bye/Good Luck gift I made her a beyond cute little picture frame.
  I first saw this frame on the awesome blog called Shanty2Chic. This Blog is new to me and Im loving her! Check her frame out here.
   This is what my finished product looked like!
There are crazy simple, really fast and unbelievably inexpensive to make. I am on cloud 9! I think it cost me like $2-$3 to make this. AWESOME eh?!
   Start with some wood. Mine was a 2x6x8. My Hubby bought me a 2x6 that was 8 feet long and just cut it down... which means I now can me 12 of these beauties to set aside for gifts! Yippie! The wood was just a couple dollars at Home depot.
I also picked up some doll heads/knobs at Micheals to decorate the top. They cost me $2.50 for a 10 Pack and some spray adhesive... it was $10 but I used a coupon and got it for $5 and I will have it for a long long time... it was a big can!
I think on Shanty2Chic she assembled and then spray painted it... but since I dont have spray paint and I was trying to conserve my crafting budget for the month I painted them using some acrylic paint that I already had on hand... it work fine.
Then it was off to walmart for me... I bought some carpet tacks ($3 for a pack of like 100) and some fancy clips ($3 for a 10 pack) oh and I had Tim pick up some burlap from Home Depot when he got the wood... it was $5 but I will NEVER have to buy burlap again!
So I painted the wood and the knob allowed it to dry and then sanded down the edges to give it a distressed look.
next i sprayed the burlap with adhesive and stuck it onto the wood. Once it dried I put on 4 nails so it looks like the burlap is nailed on and it was time to bust out the glue gun ( I love my glue gun!) and glued on the knob and the clip.
Jaxon painted Miss Carey a picture to go with it.


I love this for so many reasons;
its good for those of us on a budget
its EASY
its fast
Its versatile. It can display childrens artwork, pictures, hold recipe cards while you cook.. or what Im planning for mine... Im going to have it hold out FHE assignments!

  maybe Ill have to whip out one of these to take to our Service auction we have coming up next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment