new

Friday, October 15, 2010

The Maze Runner

Ive been reading alot of so so books lately and havent been too impressed by one for a while. It seems like the truly good books are few and far between. But I just finished one that I love; The Maze Runner by James Dashner. Its a Teen read which I have been pulled to lately. I only get to read right before bed and by that time Im totally exhausted so I need something low key and easy or else I wont be able to follow it. I dont know how I came across this book but I am sure glad that I did.
  It's about a group of boys that are brought to this Glade surrounded by a Maze that no one can solve. They have developed their own society over the past 2 years and all that is tossed out the window when a girl is delivered to them. I love how the society works and it seemed really how a society of kids would be. Its considerable less violet and more compassionate then the one in the Lord of the Flies (which is one of my favorites) but I like to think that there is more goodness in people then we often give them credit for. The Gladers are hard working, rule obeying young men trying to survive.
   They are tormented by Greivers, repulsive creatures who sting will kill you if you do not get the anti serum fast enough. that fear traps them in the Glade at night and is a constent threat.
  the two main characters are thomas and Theresa. thomas was the newest boy brought to the Glade adn then Theresa showed up the following day and it all went nuts. I wont say much about that relationship because I dont want to ruin the book for you. But I am intrigued to read the rest of the series to see how that relationship develops.
  They only problem was that the ending was skeptical to me. sorry to be so vague but I dont want to ruin it I want you to read it. But as it was happening I was screaming "Dont believe it! You are smarter then this!" I was surprised no one was smart enough to figure it out.... for a split second I thought I might be wrong (which would have led to a whole different rant) but reading the back of book two I have learned that I am right.
  Yes... book too The Maze runner is the first book in a series.. i did not know this as I read it, but I was thrilled to learn that. The second book is called The Scorch Trials.
  I am split on how I feel about series... part of me misses the days when a book was strong enough to stand on its own (To Kill a Mockingbird, tuck Everlasting, the screwtape letters) but I do love how the characters have more time to develop. I get attached to my characters and I like seeing what they are up to in more then one book. (Harry Potter and my favorite series the Immortal life of Nicholas Flamel)
   READ THE MAZE RUNNER

No comments:

Post a Comment