new

Monday, November 22, 2010

The toughest race on Earth

  Being burried under all this snow has got me angry... and thinking about those people who actually like the snow. Which also made me remember a great little documentary I watched last month. It was called Iditarod; Toughest race on Earth. It was all about the 2008 Iditarod. If you dont know what that is its a dog sled race from Ankorage AK to Nome AK. It has aways intrigued me, in fact, ride a dog sled along part of the trail was on my list of 100 things to do before I die... notice the important word there... WAS.
  Dont get my wrong I was engrossed by this short series and now am hungerly reading and researching all I can about this amazing event. I am eagerly awaiting March 2011 when the next race starts. but I also think Mushers on this race are INSANE. INSANE! It takes at least 8 days.. and that is the fastest runners... most finish closer to the 2 week mark. And they are outside practically the entire time. There are check points where people can stop to eat and feed dogs etc... but even there you are sleeping on the floor of some back woods cabin.
   The love these mushers have for their dogs is impressive. And the stamina and drive they have is AWESOME. This documentary (by discovery channel) was super cool and I learned alot. I am amazed that people are willing and excited to do this race. It takes some major guts!

But I have learned some things about myself while watching as well...1)I dont like dogs (well not enough to have a team of 16) 2) I hate the snow and cold 3) I hate camping Therefore I am not made for the Iditarod. Ill think of something else cool to do instead.
 Did you know they even give a prize to the last place finisher? Its a lantern that has remained lit the entire race. the last place finisher blows it out and gets to keep it.
 I have fallen in love with the vast natural beauty of AK and the unique names of places there. Although I will never run the Iditarod I will for sure be visiting AK!

No comments:

Post a Comment