new

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Bulgogi

I am an huge Asian food fan. I cant get enough of those flavors. I am always in the mood for it. Chinese, veitnamese, Korean, Thai (is that considered asian??), Japanese its all wonderful! Despite my love of Asian food there is a dish I hadnt tried... Bulgogi... until tonight. Im sold. I have to say its the best Bulgogi I have ever tasted! I will say that the original recipe came from Great Food Fast, but I have made some minor changes (still keeping the integrity of the dish, but making it my own take on it.)

Beef Bulgogi

1 1/2 lbs rib eye steak
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp Sesame oil
1 Tbsp Crushed red Pepper Flakes ( i like things spicy!)
4 Tbsp brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp Garlic (powder or minced)
2 Tbsp ginger
2 Medium Red onions sliced
1 green pepper sliced

1) Slice meat into thin strips (if you freeze your meat for 20- 30 minutes its alot easier to cut!)
2) In a small bowl whisk together Soy Sauce, Sesame oil, pepper flakes, brown sugar, garlic and ginger. In a second bowl mix together the onion and the green pepper. Pour half the marinade over the veggies. Toss the steak with the remaining marinade and let stand for 20 minutes
3) Heat some oil in a pan (I always use Extra virgin Olive Oil) over med-high heat. Add the onions and green pepper. cook until softened... about 5-8 minutes depending on how thick you sliced them. Transfer to a plate.
4) Add more oil and increase the temp to high. Add your meat and cook to desired doneness... I dont like much red so it takes a little while for me to get there.Once cooked add the veggies back in to the pan and heat through, takes about 1 minute.

This Dish is traditionally served wrapped in a lettuce leaf... but I had it over rice instead. So here is a tip... mine was still pretty saucy... if you are doing a lettuce wrap dish it up using a slotted spoon then drizzle yoru desired amount of sauce on it... that way its not really slimy in the lettuce. But I loved having the extra sauce since I had a plain rice with it.

This was a perfect end to a fun day. We were stuck in the house because of the rain... jaxon is like me and doesnt like being cold or wet (Owen would do outside in a 50 below blizzard!) So we had a jammie day... which means I FINALLY got my house cleaned and I even did some crafts... I worked on chelseas baby book, made a couple cards, finished up a page for the family scrapbook and of course worked on felt food. I even got to read! So crafty people keep watching the blog because in a day or two Ill be posting some cute projects!


1 comment:

  1. Sweet...I'm totally making this, it sounds so good. Thanks

    ReplyDelete